We’re now on the countdown to Christmas 2015, and to take the sight off the doom and gloom in the buildup to this time of the year we shall be counting down the 22 Days till Christmas by bringing you a random wrestling fact on each day, with something related to the specific number of days left till Christmas. Yesterday, amongst other things we bought you the May 23rd 1999, Owen Hart, and now here we go with Number 22…
Random Fact Number 22: January 22. 1995
On this day, the 1995 edition of the Royal Rumble aired and featured one of the earliest iconic moments in the events history when Shawn Michaels entered Number 1 and The British Bulldog entered Number 2 and went all the way to the final two, with Shawn Michaels finally eliminating Bulldog to become the winner. This feat would have being far more impressive had the entire Rumble match not lasted a meager 38 minutes. This event was also notable for the first confrontation between Bam Bam Bigelow and Lawrence Taylor which led to their one-on-one encounter at WrestleMania 11.
Other Number 22 Random Facts
- Randy Orton: when he made his televised WWE debut on April 25. 2002 on SmackDown! against Hardcore Holly, he was the tender age of 22 and went on to have a series of matches with Holly throughout the summer before going to the RAW brand in September of that year.
- WrestleMania 22: to date, this is the last time the event was held in a traditional arena, every year thereafter this event has being held in large football or baseball stadiums capable of holding mass audience numbers.
- July 22. 1965: on this day, a child called Michael Hickenbottom was born in Chandler, Arizona. He would later become known to millions as Shawn Michaels, a multi-time champion in the WWE and 2011 Hall-of-Famer.
- September 22. 1997: on this day, Bill Goldberg made his debut on WCW Monday Nitro, when he defeated Hugh Morrus and began his streak, a win record of 173-0 before it was ended at Starrcade 1998 at the hands of Kevin Nash and Scott Hall.
- February 22. 2015: this day marked the inaugural version of WWE Fastlane, where Daniel Bryan and Roman Reigns clashed with a title shot at WrestleMania on the line whilst Sting returned to confront Triple H ahead of their match at WrestleMania 31.
- November 22. 2015: this day marked the 29th incarnation of Survivor Series, which was headlined by a championship tournament for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship but was potentially overshadowed by the possible ISIS terrorist threat against the show.
- January 22. 1980: this day marked the heel turn of Larry Zbyszko against his former mentor, Bruno Sammartino on a WWE Championship Wrestling. They continued to feud throughout 1980, culminating in their iconic Showdown at Shea on August 9. 1980 at Shea Stadium, where Sammartino defeated him inside the steel cage.
- March 22. 1940: although disputed, this is the date WWE Hall of Famer Mae Young claimed to have had her first wrestling match. This is heavily disputed nevertheless, as wrestling historians have being unable to track any records of her competing before 1941.
- July 22. 1923: on this day, a child called Mary Lillian Ellison was born in Kershaw County, South Carolina. She would later become known to millions as The Fabulous Moolah, the longest reigning WWE Women’s Champion of all-time. She continued to appear on WWE screens until her death aged 84 in 2007.
- July 22. 1996: on this day, Ron Simmons made his WWE debut on RAW as Faarooq Asad. He went on to form part of The Nation and APA before retiring from full-time competition in 2004 due to his advancing age and injuries. He continues to make sporadic appearances on WWE TV under his own name to this day.
Image Credit: Clker.com